Thursday, December 1, 2016

There’s a Nice Hotel Nearby

by Alan

At this time of year many of us are getting ready to welcome houseguests. How do you manage working at home when friends and family come to stay?

It’s easier for me—I have very few friends or family who want to stay with me (see photo of me,lecter how I usually look at home).

But I live with a couple of family members (Love ya, guys!), and there is a never-ending list of chores around the house (and around town) that are calling out to me, nagging me, trying to divert me from my work.

How do I actually write with so many distractions?

Discipline! (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.)

I’ve blogged about BICFOK before. And I’m sure I’ll blog about it again. But, for me, having a daily quota works. It gives me permission to do other things, once my writing is finished.

Now, of course, life gets in the way (pesky life!). On those occasions when we do have visitors, for instance, I’ll work ahead. I’ll make sure to write more words during the days/weeks before our visitors are scheduled to arrive. Then I can “goof off” with a clear conscience.

Because when it comes to goofing off, you don’t want to be feeling guilty!

I should know, I’m a goofing-off expert.

4 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

I think you look just fine in your formal portrait, Alan. So, if your friends and family come by just dress like that and offer them a fine chianti and some fava beans. That should get you plenty of time to write.

Art Taylor said...

What's funny is I thought of you this morning when I was reading through my blogs and saw Sparkle Abbey talking at The Stiletto Gang about "BICHOK-ing (bottom in chair, hands on keyboard)" and I thought, "Wait, that's not it...."

Catriona McPherson said...

Uh, guys, you're making me look like a bad hostess, with all this writing ahead and taking breaks. I show them toaster and bang my study door.

Alan Orloff said...

Paul - I like how you think, sir.

Art - BICHOK must be the Midwest version of BICFOK.

Catriona - Tried that once. Spent a lot of time cleaning up crumbs.