Tuesday, February 21, 2017

What a Difference...

THE QUESTION:  If your writing process/life could be summarized as the title of a song – what song would it be? And why?

BY RM

What pops to mind is "WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES"

I've written before about serendipity, the day I met my mentor, the late great Holley Rubinsky, which led to meeting my other mentor and friend, author Deryn Collier.

What a difference a day made.

These two mentors believed in me and put me back on my writerly feet. So I braced myself for another loss and entered the Arthur Ellis awards, the big Canadian crime writer's contest hosted by the CWC -- Crime Writers of Canada. The day I heard who won the unpublished writers' award (the Unhanged) I was too boondoggled to actually soak up the thrill, yet I knew I had turned a big corner.

What a difference a day made.

When I'm writing these days, there are many days when my theme song is "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow," as I sit miserable in the conviction that Book Two (coming in March!!) now that it's beyond the point of no return ("No more changes," my publisher shouts at me over the phone) is dung, and that all those people who have told me how much they loved Book One will just be staggered at how awful this one is in comparison. But then I get a note from an ARC reader who loves it...

Oh, what a difference a note makes.




Darkness falls. For added inspiration, I am playing the song on YouTube. What a beautiful voice has Dinah Washington. Next up on the list, I can't help but notice, she's belting out Drinking Again. I will not let that become my theme song, even if Nobody Loves Me, and I find myself Way Down in the Hole. Truth is, however much I tell myself I Don't Care, in fact -- maybe this is what it all boils down to -- I Wanna Be Loved. 





8 comments:

RJ Harlick said...

Great post, R.M. Are you belting out the songs too?

RM Greenaway said...

Absolutely, R.J. :)

Susan C Shea said...

Oh, very nice, R.M.! You had a entire playlist for an answer, and a great one!

Cathy Ace said...

Singalong.... :-)

Paul D. Marks said...

Fun post, Rachel. And great choice of songs.

RM Greenaway said...

Thank you all. And if anyone needs help posting YouTube videos on blog, just let me know. I'm now an expert!

Allan J. Emerson said...

Great post! You can't go wrong with Dinah.

RM Greenaway said...

Thanks Allan - and actually writing this post has led me to discover more of Dinah's music.