Tuesday, February 14, 2017

You can't go wrong with a classic British mystery

By R.J. Harlick

What three mystery books would you recommend to someone as must reads who’s never read a mystery before? 

A tough question. There are so many fabulous mystery books that have been written over the years, it makes for a difficult choice. Since it is February 14, I could look at mysteries that have a hot steamy romance. Though, that isn’t usually a crime novel’s strength.

I developed my love for mysteries by devouring Agatha Christie as a child before moving onto other British authors like Dorothy Sayers, Ruth Rendell, Colin Dexter and the like, so I might as well look at British crime writers for my suggestions.

A person new to mysteries could start with one of the forerunners of today’s modern mystery, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Written in 1859, it is considered an early example of detective fiction with the protagonist, Walter Hartright, taking on the role of an amateur sleuth. The action starts with Walter encountering a mysterious woman in white who appears to be in some distress. He later learns that she escaped from an asylum. The plot swirls around switched identities and an inheritance while drawing attention to the lack of legal rights women had at the time. A fabulous book. The Moonstone, also written by Wilkie Collins is another fine example of an early mystery.
 
Agatha Christie was truly the master, or should I say mistress, of the puzzle mystery. I don’t think I have read one book of hers that I have been able to guess whodunit. For me the Christie book that stands out the most in its ability to fool the reader is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. It is masterful in its ability to hide the truth which, by the way, is in plain sight, if only the reader were perceptive enough. A person couldn’t go wrong in trying to test their wits with this book.

There was a time, when I took a break from mysteries, preferring to make my way through the literary greats. The discovery of the P.D. James’ series with poetry-writing detective Adam Dalgliesh brought me back into the mystery fold. Beautifully written with a strong sense of the British countryside, each book deftly explores the psychological motives behind murder. I’m not sure I could recommend any one book of the fourteen in the series. They are all good. So perhaps the best place to start, as with any series, is with the first one, Cover Her Face.






I mustn't forget what day it is. Hope you celebrate it appropriately.


5 comments:

Paul D. Marks said...

Good list, Robin. And it reminds me that a long time ago my mother-in-law suggested that I read The Woman in White, which I never got around to. So now it goes back into the TBR pile.

And Happy Valentine's to you!

Jerry House said...

A great list. One could quibble with specific titles, but the authors are all top-notch.

THE WOMAN IN WHITE's Count Fosco remains one of the most memorable villains I have ever encountered in a book. Since I first saw the movie I have been unable to picture him as anyone but Sidney Greenstreet.

Art Taylor said...

Catching up on the week in progress with you and Terry, but really enjoyed these picks. Tara and I read Woman in White aloud a few years back, such a joy! And I teach Murder of Roger Ackroyd regularly too!

RM Greenaway said...

Great, I found The Woman in White on audio - that's the only kind of reading I can manage these days. Thanks! Will be listening...

Abiya Carol said...

Great post!I am actually getting ready to across this information,i am very happy to this commands.Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have.Well done,its a great knowledge.

AWS Training in Chennai