Thursday, April 27, 2017

Eighty-Five Cents an Hour

by Alan

Do you strive to earn income on your writing from other than royalties on books sales? If so, what additional income sources do you pursue?

dollar signHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry. Every time I think about writers making a lot of money, I laugh uncontrollably. (I know, I should be crying.)

Of course, some writers do make a lot of money. They are probably the ones you’ve heard of. The ones that habitually inhabit the Best Seller Lists. Some even employ a small army of co-writers in lucrative branding operations. (Am I envious? You bet I am!)

The rest of us (many of us?) don’t make a lot of money. I think that if we were after money, we would have chosen different occupations. I’m very fortunate that I have a live-in patron-of-the-arts.

[I toiled in the corporate world for a while, so I understand—and believe in—capitalism. No complaints, here!]

In addition to my own writing, I teach writing workshops at The Writer’s Center in Bethesda, MD. They pay me, but it’s not a huge amount of money. Occasionally, I’ll teach a workshop at a library or writing retreat or writing conference, and I’ll receive a modest honorarium. Sometimes, I’ll sell a few books at a literary festival or book talk or <fill in the blank>. Often, my proceeds barely cover the cost of gas, parking, and tolls.

Taken together, these activities help defray some of the costs of attending conventions like Bouchercon or Malice Domestic.

How do you make $100,000 in publishing?

Start with $200,000.

****

And speaking of Malice Domestic, it begins tomorrow! I’m looking forward to seeing some other Criminal Minds there: Catriona, Susan, and Cathy, as well as a ton of other writer and reader friends! If you’re planning to attend, you might be interested in my panel, Murder Shorts: Mystery Stories, Saturday at 2:00 pm. Hope to see you there!

4 comments:

Dietrich Kalteis said...

That's funny. If you want to make $100,000 in publishing, start with $200,000.

RM Greenaway said...

I peek at books people read in coffee shops. It's usually Danielle Steele.

Art Taylor said...

Ha! Fun post. See you at Malice, indeed!

Danny Gardner said...

Alan, you're hilarious! Consistently hilarious!!