As Matthew wrote earlier this week, I don’t. I don’t care for myself. For starters, I don’t like exercise, a petulant sentiment to which I feel entitled by virtue of my advanced age and general lack of drive (read, I’ve managed to stick around this long and now I don’t feel like moving). I’d rather not exert myself, unless it’s for a good reason, like running from a lion. You won’t find me hiking through the woods or climbing mountains, no. I am one of the Great Indoorsmen.
I exaggerate, of course. (No, I don’t.)
Inertia notwithstanding, however, I admit that I don’t actually sit for too long when writing. Perhaps I shouldn’t complain.
When I’m in a writing sprint—careering toward the end of a book—I spend a couple of hours a day in a chair working. Usually in the morning. Then I do other activities such as running errands or eating. Later, in the evening, I often return to writing and put in some more time. I write on a tablet, so I can work anywhere. On the couch, in bed, at the table. The hours I spend sitting and writing are actually a holiday for me (see above re: attitude toward exercise), which, I suppose, might be beneficial for my mental health.
But for the past several years, I’ve been teaching high school French. And now I’m teaching Italian and Spanish in a middle school, so there’s absolutely no reason for me to want for exercise. True, I do lose my mind every day. Several times a day, in fact. That’s just part of the job. It’s in the job description. Every day is a workout.
In addition to insanity, another downside to a full-time teaching gig is that I don’t have the energy or inclination to write as much as I would like. But that will surely change. When it’s time to sit myself down and sprint to the end of a book, I’ll be ready. Exhausted, sure. Mentally drained, without a doubt. But blissfully content to sit for hours in a chair by myself. My mood will improve, the burden will lighten, and I will spit out a book. That always brightens the damp drizzly November in my soul. But I still won’t do any exercise.
**********************
THE PRANK…enigmatic and unnerving. The pace never flags for a second. This is some masterly plotting. I loved it.
—Liz Nugent, author of Strange Sally Diamond
Zero
Saldjfghaerl;
The exercise involved in eating doesn't get enough credit!
ReplyDeleteHow did you manage to graduate to teaching students in the most obstinate and confusing years of their lives? And two languages neither of which is French or English? Surely writing the Great American Novel, or two GANs would be easier!
ReplyDelete