A marathon.
On my first release day, I put my baby in the pram and went for a long walk, I bought a chocolate bar and sat in the sunshine eating it. It was summertime, it felt surreal, I had no idea what to expect. I bought myself a small glass jar of shells which I have kept on a shelf and it reminds me of that magical day where you're floating on air, dreaming of all the wonderful things that might happen!
On my second release day, I went for a long walk alone. It was winter, it was rainy and the river was full and the ducks were happy, and I felt excited. I got my nails painted. I did a newspaper and a radio interview, and then I had a glass of bubbles with my husband. Simple pleasures!
I used to worry about sales. I used to check the numbers. Not lately. You can't control sales.
The only thing you can control is the reason you write. The one thing I did on both release days, which I recommend every writer do, is I sat at my desk and did a little bit of writing on my next project. If you're worried about the sales of your current book, the best way to promote it, is to get another book on the bookstore shelf. And that's the best thing for your writerly sanity too.
I so agree, Poppy. Getting another book on the bookstore shelf is the best thing for your writerly sanity.
ReplyDelete