Describe your ideal bookshop
The main thing I want in a bookstore is to feel comfortable browsing endlessly. Sometimes you don't know what you're looking for until you find it. I'm so happy to be invisible in a bookstore. I want to soak it up, browse, read a few pages, explore, relax and find something new and amazing.
Here are some cool, original, unforgettable bookstores I have had the pleasure of browsing in:
Arcadian Books and Prints, New Orleans, USA
This is the most crowded bookstore I've ever been in. The book stacks tower precariously. Some fell, whooshing with a clatter to the floor, while I was there. The bookstore owner welcomed me then completely ignored me while he kept reading his book. I loved everything about this store.
Quixotic Books, Launceston, Tasmania
This is such an unusual store. I walked in and saw hundreds of brand new books but I didn't recognise any of the covers. Usually you see all the regular big names in Australian publishing. Not here. Quixotic Books sells remainder books - books which didn't sell in bookstores overseas and were returned to the publisher. Toby Wheels-Cobb, the owner, selects books from catalogues of thousands of books, and brings them to Tasmania. He also describes himself as a book detective. If there is a book you want, he will find it for you.
Tell Me How It Ends Bookstore, Brisbane, Queensland
Located in California Alley in The Valley, this cool bookstore is owned by writer Lauren Jones. The decor is dark academia, you feel like you're inside a candlelit, gothic library when you're in this gorgeous intimate store. They stock everything, with a great range of romance.
Barnes and Noble, Denver
There is nothing more exciting than seeing your own book in a big bookstore. I never take it for granted that my book will be there, and when it is, it's the best feeling in the world. My perfect bookstore would stock my books... I was thrilled to see VANISHING FALLS in this Barnes and Noble, several years after it was published.















No comments:
Post a Comment