Thursday, June 15, 2023

An Object at Rest from James W. Ziskin

The business and creative sides of writing can feel like being on a teeter-totter. How do you manage to keep a balance?

 

The simple answer is that I don’t keep a balance. Over the past few years, any energy I might have felt for the business side of writing has evaporated. It’s hard enough to find the time and the inspiration to write, let alone to come up with new ideas to promote my career.

 

As part of my self-promotional strategies, I used to attend writer conferences every year. Bouchercon, Left Coast, ITW, California Crime, New England Crime Bake, Malice Domestic, and Maine Crime Wave to name a few. I enjoyed re-connecting with old friends and making new ones, learning from the wonderful writers on panels, and sharing my flask of Dewar’s with thirsty colleagues. (I’m looking at you, Leslie Karst.) But since 2019, I’ve only managed to make it to New England Crime Bake once and Maine Crime Wave twice. Granted, there was the pandemic, but even so. I used to attend four or five conferences a year. Now?

 

My attendance—or lack thereof—is symptomatic of something greater going on inside me: inertia. I know I should do more to promote my brand or my books, but somehow not much happens. I’ve done a handful of signings, but those are a struggle. The return on investment seems minimal. I would need to hit dozens of bookstores and libraries to have any real effect, and I’m not feeling it.



I used to spend lots of effort searching for creative promotional ideas. I recommend you pick up a marvelous book called Promophobia, edited by Diane Vallere and published by Sisters in Crime. More than sixty of the finest crime writers working today contributed to this self-help volume. Click here for the link.



My own favorite promotion was for Cast the First Stone. I bought every die-cast Volkswagen bus I could find—blue if possible to match the cover of my book—and added the title to the roof. People went crazy for it. I must have given away twenty-five of them. It was an expensive promotion. What it did for my sales I have no idea. Probably nothing.

 

Another side of the business that every writer dreads is requesting blurbs. It’s hard to screw up the nerve to ask someone for their time (about ten hours for a novel) and a couple of lines of praise (if they like it and want to attach their name to it). Those lines don’t necessarily come easily either, so I’m immensely grateful each time. For me, when I write a blurb for another author, I spend a couple of hours at least crafting a thoughtful comment. It’s important to pay it forward.

 

Other business activities, such as maintaining tax records, are less arduous. We do those anyway for all our income and deductions, so I won’t complain about those.

 

If this post comes across as slightly deflated and defeated, I apologize. I know the business side of writing is essential, just not very sexy. Maybe I’ll go to Bouchercon this year to raise my spirits. That would be fun. And there would be plenty of tax preparation to be done once it’s over. Business, n’est-ce pas?

 

Maybe I’ll feel better about the business side soon, but for now I’m going to concentrate on writing. I have three or four book ideas percolating in my head, and it’s time to take care of those.

 

 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I finished the 5th in my series and am pooped, just pooped. I may be moving house soon, so I use that as an excuse to avoid anything not Move Related for a while. Didn't work for more than a couple weeks. I started a new story. There are lots of things to do and I will take them out of order and maybe I don't care.

Laurie Hernandez

Anonymous said...

I have been obsessed with online marketing since the beginning of the year and it's really cut into my writing. Doesn't feel good at all. -Keenan

Susan C Shea said...

I feel you, Jim. If we could quantify the results of what we do to promote attention and sales, it would be more compelling. But no matter the activity, everyone I know says "Who knows?" which is not exactly inspirational. I attended an indie panel at CCWC last weekend and there are some hard-working, sincere people who grind out a living. They buy ads, they do newsletters, run promotions, giveaways...Bless them, but it tired me out to even contemplate that much work that isn't even writing.

Terry said...

Jim, You could have been writing this for me. The word "should" keeps cropping up for me, and "don't wanna" is the reply. I can't help wondering if part of it has to do with the shock we experienced when the previous owner of our publishing company took the money and ran without so much as a hint, foisting us off on...well, you know. It was like a divorce from a spouse we thought loved us, and who sent us a note, "Bye bye." I was lucky to land with a publisher I'm satisfied with, but trust and excitement is yet to come.