Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Last night I dreamt I went to Bouchercon for the first time

 


What is your favorite Bouchercon memory, past or present, and what advice would you give to writers interested in attending Bouchercon, so they could get the most out of their experience?

 

My first and favorite Bouchercon was Toronto, in 2017. I was a conference newbie, a published author, and I had no idea what to expect. NONE. I wasn’t Bambi in the forest when it came to travel either, but Toronto was a new destination. My forays into Canada had been limited to Montréal and Québec City.

 

Going into the conference, I knew some authors virtually, either through Facebook or Twitter, so I was eager to match faces to their names online. I stayed within walking distance of the main hotel, and I’m glad that I did because walking into the host hotel was like walking into Las Vegas, with all the lights, bells, and sirens on.  Sensory overload.

 

Raymond Carver’s words came to mind, “I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone’s heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving.”

 

Except, we were moving like Canadian geese, left and right, up and down, to conference rooms for panels, to the Book Room to buy books, to the same Book Room for signings, and to the bar to quench our thirsts or make conversation. For people who are introverts by disposition, the energy drain from being ON for hours on end was real and exhausting.

 

My advice is both practical and idiosyncratic.

 

WEAR GOOD SHOES

Guys are Low Maintenance, but I’d tell the ladies to wear something comfortable for the Panel Hop because the Fitbit will rack up serious step count. Save dress shoes for cocktail hour or dinner. Your dogs will thank you.

 

CASE THE JOINTS

This should be a no-brainer for crime fiction authors, but you’d be surprised. Mark-up that pocket-sized panel booklet, so you don’t miss the panels and authors you want to meet and hear.

 

An extension of this advice is to scope out the city in advance, so you can splurge and treat yourself and your plus-one to a nice dinner. Yes, it’s an indulgence, but you’ve already spent serious coin on registration, on flights, and let’s not kid ourselves: books, so why not maximize the trip.

 

An added benefit to a night out at a restaurant is your ears will thank you for the incessant drone of hundreds of people in a small space. If you dine out with new author friends, you can hear each other, and you are supporting the local economy. We went to Richmond Station in Toronto. Twice.

 

ETIQUETTE, PART 1

When you attend panels, mute your cell phone, and have your questions for panelists pertinent to what an author said, or to the panel’s theme. It’s their moment, not yours. I know this should be self-evident, but without fail, there’s that special someone who wants to scream their own name.

 

Less obvious, and it’s unfortunate, but ask permission to take pictures or to give that author you just met a hug. A Code of Conduct is thing, so read it and abide by the rules.

 

When you meet an author, please know (it is likely that) they are more terrified of you than you are nervous about meeting them. Let them you know appreciate their work. Compliments make all that time at their desk and the days of insecurity worth it.

 

Behave yourself at the bar. Authors are an observant lot, and you don’t want to become the murder victim in someone’s next book, or read about yourself, thinly veiled, as Mr. X or Ms. Y on social media. People talk, for better and for worse.

 

ETIQUETTE, PART 2

If you’re an author, impressions count. Act like a professional.

 

If you’re on a panel, don’t hog the microphone and all the air in the room.

 

What you say at a conference will attract readers, possibly an agent or publisher, so dress well, and have business cards in your pocket.

 

If you have the budget, have bookmarks made so you can insert them into the books you sign.

 

Carry at least two pens for signings: one to use and one to replace the one you lose.

 

VOTE

Voting for the Anthony Awards at Bouchercon isn’t a standardized process, from city to city, so make sure you have your ballot in on time.

 

 

HAVE FUN

 

HYDRATE

 

RECOVER

 

ENJOY THE AUTHORS, their BOOKS and REGISTER FOR NEXT YEAR, especially if there’s a discount.

2 comments:

Donna Clancy said...

Thank you for this article. I am attending my first Bouchercon next year in Nashville and am so looking forward to the event. I am an introvert so the thought of going leaves me a little apprehensive. This advice will help immensely. Donna Clancy

Grace Koshida said...

My first Bouchercon memory was attending the Toronto one in 1992. I was still living with my parents in north Toronto, so it was just a quick subway ride to Union Station & the Royal York hotel. I was gawking & in awe when I met Stuart M. Kaminsky who wrote the hilariously funny historical Toby Peters PI books. He was such a quiet, humble man.

FYI, I have been to 24 Bouchercons, some great, some meh. The 2004 Toronto Bouchercon was on Canadian Thanksgiving weekend so I was in the doghouse for going instead of enjoying family celebrations.

For the 2017 Bouchercon, I stayed at a cheap hotel about a 30 minute walk from the Sheraton hotel so I missed most of the impromptu encounters that are so much fun. It was great to see so many Canadian mystery authors, and some friends such as Edith Maxwell & Hank Phillippi Ryan. Sorry I didn't know you then, GABRIEL.