Wednesday, December 6, 2023

A final, farewell post, and some final shout outs... by Cathy Ace

Hello folks, I’ve been posting my bloggy thoughts here, every other Wednesday, for the better part of ten years, and it’s time for me to pass the ball to…well, you’ll find out soon.

It’s been an honour and a pleasure to share this particular part of the blogiverse with my fellow Minds – every single one of them over that period. It’s also been my delight to interact with those of you who have commented on my posts either here or on the Minds’ Facebook page.

It's been quite a decade: when I was welcomed with open arms by the Minds I had two books published and a third on the way; now I have twenty-two novels and two other collections in print, and am working on my next two novels as I type (one at a time!). I've been delighted to have had the chance to meet every Mind in person, and have learned a lot about all of them through their blog posts, and have also learned a great deal from them. Thanks to every single Mind for their support and enthusiasm over the years.

Thanks for having me, Minds…have fun moving forward! Cathy  ðŸ˜Š

Now to turn my attention to this week’s question: 

Gift-giving ideas for book lovers.

First of all, if you're a book lover thinking of how you can thank your favourite authors at this time (or any time) of year, consider giving a star-rating at any and all online platforms, and telling your local librarians and booksellers about the books you enjoy...or you could always pop something onto your own social media feed, or just email the person whose work you've enjoyed!

All of that being said, I always find it difficult to suggest books for people, because I really do think that deciding what to read isn’t just about what type of book a person "usually" enjoys, but also what sort of mood they’re in at the time. I know this is the case for me, and I can find myself choosing something incredibly dark, or much lighter, depending on what I want to escape to. The same thing means I don’t like to make lists of what I’ve enjoyed reading the “most” across the year, because what appeals to me can change dramatically from day to day, let alone week to week.

That being said, I’m going to give some hints and tips with some explanations of what type of book might appeal to what type of person, and – as long as you know the person you’re buying for – I hope this helps.

For those who enjoy Golden Age mysteries:

Martin Edwards: The Rachel Savernake series (currently 4 books) Martin is not only a true afficionado of Golden Age detection fiction but a talented author, too, and this series is a delight. The fourth in the series, SEPULCHRE STREET, was one of my summer reads, and I loved it!

 


For those who enjoy a traditional, intelligent sleuth:

If you haven’t read the Ruth Galloway Mysteries by Elly Griffiths…I envy you, because you have so many books to enjoy! I have been hooked since book 1, THE CROSSING PLACES, and read the “final” book in the series, THE LAST REMAINS, during the summer. Elly is a talented author and she knows how to build and develop characters and relationships throughout a series, as well as delivering a satisfying closed-circle mystery within each book.



For those who like dark procedurals, or fast-paced thrillers:

I have fallen for the Washington Poe series by MW Craven. Each book in the series of five (so far) delivers an engrossing, dark case for the wonderfully hermit-like DS Poe to tackle, more than ably supported by the delightful Tilly Bradshaw. He now has a new series to read, and the first installment, FEARLESS, is brilliant! YAY! In the Reacher mould, his lead character is, literally, fearless. I highly recommend!


Finally, a shout out for my own work. If you know someone who enjoys cozy mysteries with a village setting and a cast of loveable female sleuths, try my WISE Enquiries Agency Mysteries (really best to start with the first in the series). For a more "Golden Age-shaped" traditional mystery, try the Cait Morgan Mysteries, where you can jump in anywhere. Or what about a bit of psychological suspense? For that, turn to The Wrong Boy.

All my books are detailed at my website: https://www.cathyace.com/


Thanks for reading all my mitherings over the past decade...I hope you'll consider my works for your TBR pile now, and in the future! 

You can still stalk me at my own Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorCathyAce/




9 comments:

Dietrich Kalteis said...

Thanks so much for being part of the group all these years, Cathy, and for everything you've done and shared. All the best for the Holidays and the coming New Year,
Dietrich.

Catriona McPherson said...

Truly the end of an era. We will miss you, Cathy. And I for one will knock you over with the strength of the hug when I see you, Cx

Brenda Chapman said...

Thanks so much, Cathy - it has been a real pleasure being on this blog with you! We will miss you and hope you drop by now and then to guest blog. All the best with your new books and your writing career. I raise my glass to you and hope we can share a real drink in the near future.

Cathy Ace said...

Thanks for all your support over the years, Dietrich! Here's to a delightful Hoiliday season for you and yours, and here's to the New Year! Cathy

Cathy Ace said...

Thanks Catriona - you can depend upon the hug back being just as huggy!!! Cathy x

Cathy Ace said...

Thanks Brenda - yes, I hope to see you in person again soon, too. HUGS, Cathy

Susan C Shea said...

Cathy, You've been such an inspiration to other writers, me included, and to readers who check out Minds to find out what your newest books are. You're emerita, but welcome back to guest on my day for sure! Looking forward to a group hug at the next big con.

Josh Stallings said...

Cathy, thank you for welcoming so many myself included into this wonderful group of authors. I will miss you wisdom.

Josh

Anonymous said...

A great decade for you in so many ways! Thanks for sharing your thoughts in all that time! Your output in books and blogs is hard to match!!