Tuesday, January 9, 2024

New Normal

 

Terry here, answering our heavy-duty question: It’s nearly four years since our lives took that big swerve into the pandemic. Has yours gone back to the same as before? Or are there new normals? Any silver linings? 

 Here is why my life has not gone “back to the same as before:” 

 New normals: 

1) We moved to Los Angeles. 

2) Both our dogs died. 

3) I parted ways with my agent 

 4) I gained weight. 

 Silver linings 

1) We moved close to our son and we see a lot of him. 

2) I signed with a new agent. 

3) I did a lot of writing. 

4) We got a new rescue kitty. 

5) We got a new rescue dog. 

 Expanding on the above: 

 New Normals: 

 1) The move to LA was badly timed. First of all, we happened to be looking at places to live when it seemed like everybody in the world wanted to buy a house. We ended up with a place that we bought because we were sick of looking. It has plusses and minuses, but so far I haven’t been successful at really settling in. Probably the hardest part of the move for me was leaving dear friends behind. And we found in LA that people were still not “out” from Covid, so making friends has been a challenge. Luckily, I do have some pals who have stepped up, especially a new writers group that I love. 

 2) Losing both our dogs was traumatic.

I counted on them to continue to be my friends while I was navigating a new place. It was not to be. For the first time in forever we were without pets for almost a year. A very hard time. 

 3) Parting ways with my agent was bittersweet. I really liked her, but we just weren’t a good fit anymore. 

 4) As for the weight gain, I am an emotional eater and being unhappy meant eating. But it’s a New Year! And a new opportunity to reassess the weight gain and beat it into submission. 

 Silver Linings: 

 1) When we said we were moving close to our son, several people said we’d probably never see him, but that is not the case. We see him and his long-term girlfriend all the time. We have a lot of laughs.

2) Happily, I was able to sign with a new agent, Kimberley Cameron, and she’s terrific. A good partnership. 

 3) During Covid I did a good amount of writing, so in 2022 I had a book come out, another in 2023, and in 2024 there will be two out, including the debut of a new series.
Plus, I have another book out on submission (seems like forever, but it has only been a few months). 

4) Last spring my son’s girlfriend called to ask if I would foster a kitty that she had found hiding in a truck engine. She sent a photo. I said, no I won’t foster him, but I’ll take him! Max the Cat is a wonderful kitty.

5) After that we decided we needed another dog and found our funny little Monty as a rescue. He’s asleep in my room at this very moment. 

 All in all, I know I’m lucky. So many people’s lives changed in very bad ways during the Covid years and our struggles pale by comparison. 

 Now it’s a new year and anything is possible! I’m hoping for the good things.

4 comments:

Catriona McPherson said...

Hey! Very excited about Jessie Madison, Terry.

Susan C Shea said...

So much good! I can testify to Monty being a sweet little runt who loves you dearly, and Max...well, Max is a very small tiger. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Catriona. I’m excited for something new!

Josh Stallings said...

The move of both home and agent to courage and I’m so glad life has rewarded you in both cases. I’m only a little hurt that you moved to LA only after we left.

J