I hesitate to call anything a "guilty pleasure." The term is a sly bit of linguistic trickery, a sneaky way of connecting with others over a shared interest (which is lovely) while communicating just how refined my real tastes are (which is, in my opinion, dickish). I'd employ this shady classification in circles where I wanted to appear intellectually superior to my own preferences, where I wanted people to be impressed with my typical taste and my bravery in admitting I'd been "slumming it" with some reality TV or bubble gum pop or (gasp!) genre fiction.
Perhaps my newfound hatred for the "guilty pleasure" moniker comes from the fact that many might classify my debut novel as such. It was, after all, a cozy mystery, a genre that has to fight to be taken seriously. (Funny how we do that with media that appeals to women...but that's a soap box for another day.) I don't mind the book being described as "fun" or "breezy" or even "an easy read." But I hope no one feels guilty for reading it or ashamed to recommend it.
I often think about books like food, and I think it's important to strive for a well-balanced diet. And, much like food, shame and self-consciousness just get in the way of enjoying some delicious things. Sure, you should make sure you get some meatier, more robust stuff in your reading diet, but there's nothing wrong with a snack, an indulgence, or even a dessert.
So, in that spirit, I thought I'd recommend three titles I've recently enjoyed that some might classify as "guilty pleasures." But I'd describe them differently...
With a Vengeance by Riley Sager - This book felt like a mashup Murder on the Orient Express and the TV show Revenge from a decade or so ago, and I couldn't put it down. I know Riley Sager has his detractors, but I'm consistently entertained by his books and would recommend them to anyone looking for a page-turning escape. To continue the food comparisons, this book feels like a juicy bacon cheeseburger and fries.
The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill - It's interesting reading the criticisms of this book, because the issues identified by some readers were exactly what made it the right read for me at the time I picked it up. I tore through this book in a hospital waiting room, happy to give myself to its relaxed pace and character-focused narrative. On a day when I needed comfort, it was like a warm cinnamon roll and a tall glass of milk.
He's To Die For by Erin Dunn - This one is currently on my nightstand, so the recommendation may be premature. It's a gay rom-com mystery mashup that is completely delightful so far. I don't read a lot of romance (I find myself longing for something to happen) but there's just enough murder in this one to keep me wondering will-they-or-won't-they. This one hits like a frozen margarita and a basket of chips on a sunny afternoon.
Does every book have to be gourmet, nutrient-dense, or especially good for you? Absolutely not. If my reading life were nothing but chicken breast and kale, I'd be hard-pressed to want to spend much time with a book in my hands. So, here's to the not-so-guilty pleasures!



No comments:
Post a Comment