Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Morning Caffeine, Munchkin, and Promotion by Gabriel Valjan

 



Do you set aside dedicated time to do promotion for your book and your brand? If so, how much time and what do you concentrate on? If not, why not?

 As a rule, NO, I don’t dedicate a special time to promote myself and my brand. However, I do commit my daily Coffee Time to doing social media. It’s a qualification with a distinction because I use social media to support other authors. My books are released into the wild once a year, so I do my best to to keep the flame alive.

 

Every morning, I orient myself to Time, Purpose, and Location with a doppio of espresso within reach. I’ll open up Canva and create a graphic for my Facebook feed. I might move onto creating a graphic for an author with a New Release, a review in the trades, or an event at a bookstore or conference. This creativity awakens the writer within.

 

I find it easier to promote others than promote myself, probably because I’ve scrolled through enough feeds to tire of the screams to BUY MY BOOK.  Blame my Catholic upbringing, but talking about oneself is equated with hubris and about as pretentious as talking about yourself in the third person—and illeism is something we associate with egocentrics and eccentrics. Ezra Pound spoke about himself in third person in interviews, and Bret Easton Ellis’s Patrick Bateman in American Psycho was guilty of the same deadly sin of narcissism.

 

When I post on social media, I try to start the day with a laugh. It’s not Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood out there, and there’s that guy screaming again, BUY MY BOOK. I’m sure I am not alone, in the need for something positive. My Facebook Friends know I post humorous memes, often a melange of pop culture, cinema, and my cat Munchkin. Humor is both my self-defense mechanism against the negativity in the world, and my way of making the morning better.


 Writers know all about the power of words (diction) and delivery (syntax). If my image of my goofy cat doesn’t make a smile break on the face of even the most hardcore dog lover, then something is wrong. When I campaign one of my books, past or present, I’m bringing promotion of my ‘brand’ into a certain context.  Friends understand it’s business. I have to do this, so they know I am different from that guy chanting BUY MY BOOK.

 

If and when I pitch my books, I’ll note that all my books are about friendships. No matter what happens in life, we need each other, and it helps if someone has your back.

 

Maya Angelou said, ‘People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.’

 

In a word—a moment of mirth in this madcap insane asylum we call Life.

 

I do what I do, a bolt of espresso down my throat, and caffeine in my veins.

 

If interested in my Lessons Learned in The Business,’ then visit this link on Criminal Minds where I dispense some advice on the topic.

 

Oh, and buy my books.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Munchkin is very good at her book promotion job 😍

Ann said...

Gabriel, you enchant me. I love your books, and you daily posts and your memes and your Munchkin. Don’t change a thing. You’ve come up with a very classy way to make friends, entice new readers, and incidentally sell your books.

Liz Milliron said...

You are a wonderful supporter of writers - and Munchkin is great.

Mally Becker said...

Munchkin is a philosopher king, and I love reading what he/you have to say about the world each morning. (Love even more reading your Boston-in-the-'70s Shane Cleary series.) Thanks for the thoughtful essay.

Catriona McPherson said...

A peek behind the curtain! Gabriel, I think "the most generous mystery author in America" *is* your brand, but that's the result of it being your real self. Cx

Gabriel Valjan said...

Thank you for all the wonderful comments. Munchkin will certainly join the Writer's Strike and petition for primo treats. Until then, keep writing, keep reading, and remain positive. Writers give readers hope, and people need your stories. G & M

Kathy Reel said...

Gabriel, you have to be one of the most beloved authors in the mystery/crime community. Sometimes you hear someone say about someone else that their generosity knows no boundaries. Well, in your case, it's a fact-checked fact that your generosity truly knows no boundaries. People actually wait to post nominees and winners of awards until you get your graphic enhanced list up, and then we all share yours. Thank you for making our community and the world a brighter, better place.

Gabriel Valjan said...

Thank you so much, Kathy.

Josh Pachter said...

Keep up the great work, Gabriel! I don’t know where you find the time … but a whole lot of us are glad you do!

Jackie Layton said...

Gabriel,

You are always so kind to promote other authors, and I appreciate you. Thanks!

Gabriel Valjan said...

Thank you, Josh and Jackie.

James W. Ziskin said...

Everyone loves Gabriel. What’s not to love? A wonderful writer and a caring, giving human being.

Jim