Saturday, May 13, 2023

My Reading Style

Do you set aside time for reading, or is it a haphazard affair? Do you think reading helps your writing?

Brenda 

Like all writers, I am a voracious reader and have been since my first visit to the public library. We were also read to as kids, and happily passed along this same joy of reading to our own two daughters. I'd have to say that a lifetime of reading good books has been essential to me becoming and progressing as a writer.

My sister Donna on left, Dad and me - story time!

I began writing while also holding down a full-time job and raising two young kids. I learned to snatch bits of time while getting done what needed attention. I could write with the television on, with numerous interruptions, and in fits and starts. My reading back then followed much the same pattern.

As for my current reading habits, I continue to follow the haphazard timetable, much like how I still write. I normally start off reading a new book slowly and once I'm into the story, I'll spend greater swathes of time turning pages. If I'm completely engrossed, I'll set aside an entire day to read, but this happens rarely nowadays because I'm so busy. 

When I settle into daily writing, I like to write for a while and then take a break to read a chapter from somebody else's novel that I've got on the go. I don't find that their style or story impacts my writing, rather it inspires me to keep going. Sort of, if they can get through the sticky middle ... so can I!

I also like to read a chapter to two before turning off my bedside lamp. And of course there's seasonal reading: winter, in my office with the gas fireplace on and a cup of tea at hand; summer on the back deck, sitting in the shade in the heat of the day with a glass of something cold to sip on.

When I first began my writing journey, my goal was to have one book published. Since then, I've seen 24 books to print plus some short stories, and all this with my pantser, haphazard lifestyle. I'm thinking whatever I'm doing is working for me, in both my imaginary- and real-life worlds :-)

Website: www.brendachapman.ca

Twitter: brendaAchapman

Facebook & Instagram: BrendaChapmanAuthor


2 comments:

Susan C Shea said...

Brenda, you're my kind of writer/reader!

Brenda Chapman said...

Thanks Susan!