Wednesday, November 29, 2023

That time of year

It’s the time of year when family commitments begin to ramp up, AND a huge number of books are published, just in time for the gift-giving season. How will this affect your reading? What’s on your To Be Read pile at the moment?


by Dietrich


This time of year doesn’t affect how much I read, but there certainly will be new releases to add to the list. At the moment I’m enjoying Lewis Black’s I’m Dreaming of a Black Christmas. It won’t likely put anyone into a festive mood per se, but it’s certainly had people looking over at me as I walk to the store listening to the audiobook, wondering what the hell I’m laughing at. I highly recommend it if you don’t mind a little foul language and you could use a chuckle.


On my stack, I’m rereading an old favorite at the moment, All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque. Up next, I’ve got The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, then The Help by Kathryn Stockett. And I’ve got ARCs for Gabriel’s The Big Lie and Abir’s Hunted. There’s something special about getting an ARC from a writer whose writing I admire. And I’m sure these two will live up to expectations. 


On the wish list, I’ve got Kurt Vonnegut’s short story collection,  Armageddon in Retrospect; Stephen King’s latest Holly, Michael Connelly’s new one, Resurrection Walk. And I’ve got Aldous Huxley’s Mortal Coils, a collection of short stories from his early period, originally published in 1920.


We all know books make the perfect gift, so, if you’re looking for a novel gift idea (sorry I couldn’t help myself), then you won’t go wrong by perusing the titles from the rest of the talented writers right here at Criminal Minds. You’ll be glad you did.


No comments: