Tuesday, April 9, 2024

When It's Personal and Business: Reviews

 


I just found out that Publishers Weekly has let go of some its reviewers and is reviewing fewer mysteries. PW is one of the top reviewers. Which reviewers will take their place? Kirkus? Booklist? Library Journal? Or maybe some of the private reviewers. Do reviews matter to you? Do you think they influence readers? Who do you count on for reviews and why?

 

Reviews matter, and then they don’t.

 

The question is whether the reason you’re reading reviews is personal or business.

 

As writers, we all crave some form of validation that our efforts are not for naught. We hope that a reader has enjoyed the world we have created between the two covers. Such a reviewer is likely your everyday reader who has come to your work because they like the genre you write in. How they found me is the real question to me. Their reviews could be in-depth because they are fans of the genre or superficial because they are on to the next shiny thing, or they don’t feel confident writing reviews (a very common complaint).

 

Industry reviewers are subject matter experts, and their opinions carry weight (theoretically). These are the critics the publishers and agents stop and listen to, as if EF Hutton said something in a crowded restaurant.

 

Now that I have dated myself with an allusion to the EF Hutton commercials in the Seventies and Eighties, I have to speak now to my own experiences as a reader and then as a writer. Once upon a time, when there was no Internet and people read physical newspapers (gasp), I would grab the Sunday editions of the Boston Globe or the book section of the New York Times. It was a ritual, along with a nice toasted cinnamon raisin bagel slathered with butter. Back in those halcyon days (or daze) when I knew nothing about cholesterol, I would munch and crunch my way through what the critics had to say about this or that author.  When it came to reviews of genre fiction, I read for the gist of the plot and determined whether I would go down to the local bookstore and read the first chapter or not. In a word, I read but didn’t give credence to what was said about the quality of the work. Who made this person judge, jury, and executioner? I would decide for myself. Where I did defer to the ‘experts’ was with technical books, on matters that were academic because I lacked the formal education or exposure to the topic.

 

As a writer, reviews tell me more about what is trending, and that gives me insight to what publishers think is “hot and happening.” Writers face a dilemma: write to market or write what they want, or figure out some kind of compromise for the sake of their creativity and integrity. Writing to market is what you saw satirized in the movie American Fiction.

 

If you do the research, you will discern fads in publishing, from topics, themes, and authors producing it. I’ve always harbored the suspicion that these trends were fermented in the basements of publishing houses because, let’s be honest, what has reigned supreme since the printing press went viral has been Jerry Maguire’s mantra of “SHOW ME THE MONEY.” Do the research. If it is crap but sells, then it will be on the shelf and humped until it is bowlegged. When it doesn’t sell, it’s time to move on. I’ve seen it happen more times than I care to admit.

 

Where does this leave us with reviews, especially in the trades that publishers buy ad space in? Let’s gather the usual suspects.

 

I don’t think PW affects readers at all. In my opinion, PW influences bookstores and libraries. Librarians do help us find the books we enjoy.

 

Kirkus seems to have two doors: one that reviews, and one that sells reviews.

 

Fast forward to my own experience. The mechanism for discovering authors has changed and it hasn’t. What has changed is the existence of Amazon and Goodreads, though I think both are becoming homogeneous, in part because Amazon now owns Goodreads. If a Rupert Murdoch controls all the news, what do you expect to see and hear? If there are Big Five publishers and they have more imprints than a white-collar criminal has shell companies, then what you have is a game of knowing and not knowing who the publisher is. There is no transparency, and that also applies to blurbs, a sophisticated combination of stub-review and celebrity endorsement. You wonder how this writer managed to score words of praise from an established writer. To follow the money trail of most publishers would require a crack team of forensic accountants, though readers don’t care because all they want is a good story. They want their fix and they don’t care how they get it.

 

Authors care, however, because, allegedly, there is this urban legend that once you hit a certain number of reviews and stars on Amazon, then the god in the Bezos machinery promotes you, in ways a monster budget couldn’t. Is this a form of consumer democracy or another way of playing the lottery? If 100 thousand reviewers say X is the Next Great Thing, is it? What happens to authors if the megalodon that is Amazon were to be made into sushi as a result of the Sherman Act? And what does that Amazonian algorithm of promotion from reviews say about the critics in the trades? I can point to books that have thousands of reviews that were never on the NY Times Bestseller List. Likewise, I can point to books that the critics reviewed and fawned over that I’ve read and scratched my head, only to say, “WTF am I missing here because I don’t see it.”

 

I haven’t even touched on the explosion of reviewers, such as Facebook groups and social influencers who are bookstagrammers, which sounds to me like book stabbers. Then there are booktokers, where performance art takes precedence over the review. Influencers make money having subscribers, likes, etc., and it plays as if it were an absurd game of The Emperor With No Clothes but nobody can say that.

 

I find new books the old way: recommendations from friends who know what I like.

 

It’s nice to read somewhere that someone enjoyed your work. I find it especially interesting if readers tell me who is their favorite character in my Shane Cleary mystery series and why. I’m often surprised because they find something in the character I had never seen. As for reviews correlated to commercial success, I’ve not seen any proof of it.

 

3 comments:

Dietrich Kalteis said...

Well said, Gabriel. That's my favorite way too, get book recommendations from friends.

Anonymous said...

Excellent perspective!

Kerry Peresta said...

Great insight and encouraging. The fight for reviews gets old. That being said, I seek a lot of them. 😝 But lately I’ve relaxed my grip.