Sunday, April 16, 2023

Mentors on my Writing Path Journey

Who has been or is your mentor in the writing community? How have they guided or helped your writing career?

Brenda starting off the week.

I've had a couple of people whom I consider mentors, although there are also many others who've given advice and helped me along the way. 

Sylvia McConnell was my first publisher and she took such an interest in my work and me as a person. In those early days, she patiently walked me through the publishing and editing process along with Allister Thompson, her trusty editor. After Sylvia sold her small company to Dundurn, she worked as an acquisitions editor and continued to help bring my manuscripts to print. At Dundurn, then-VP Beth Bruder also took an interest in my books and encouraged me to keep writing the Stonechild and Rouleau series. She commented a few times that my writing in the Cold Mourning opening chapter equalled that of P.D. James, a comparison that is both humbling and exhilarating, and one that I will never forget.

As for author mentors, my first would have to be Alex Brett. Alex wrote two terrific books, and she and I spent many hours talking books and the industry. She's reviewed a few of my manuscripts in the earlier stages and always offered sound, honest critique. We roomed together at a couple of book conferences where she took me under her wing, and she remains a good friend to this day.

Mary Jane Maffini is a second Ottawa author who has always been there for me. Mary Jane was a local celebrity before I got started in the industry, and I was somewhat in awe to tell the truth. Little did I know that the two of us would one day make a road trip to Muncie Indiana to the Murder in Muncie book conference. She was by far the better known writer and so generous with her praise as we shared the stage at an event or two. She's since MC'd two of my launches and continues to be a terrific support.

Rick Mofina has also been in the friend/mentor category, sharing much wisdom in out 'book chats'. I was fortunate to have the cubicle next to Rick when we both worked in Communications for Health Canada, and he gave me a lot of inside knowledge about publishers and agents and writing bestsellers. We still try to get together at book conferences for a 'book chat' although the pandemic has kept us from meeting up these last few years.

The past while, Judy Penz Sheluk has really helped me to navigate the book-publishing industry. We met when she was Chair of Crime Writers of Canada and I was a regional representative. Judy has given me so much wisdom and advice and has always been available to answer my questions. If you are a writer, I highly recommend Judy's book Finding Your Path to Publication, which distills much of her guidance to me over the past few years and so much more.

This writing community is tight-knit, generous and welcoming. I know that my writing journey would not have been as successful or as much fun without all these wonderful people and so many others whom I've met along the way. I'd be remiss not to add that this includes all the writers on this blog. I've only made a few in person, but we've gotten to know each other through emails and our posts, and I can tell you that everyone is as warm and supportive as they appear!

Website: www.brendachapman.ca

Twitter: brendaAchapman

Facebook & Instagram: BrendaChapmanAuthor

4 comments:

Dietrich Kalteis said...

So true, Brenda. The entire writing community seems very generous and supportive.

Brenda Chapman said...

Thanks Dietrich - I've found it to be so!

Susan C Shea said...

Good examples of the mutual support nature of our writing community!

Brenda Chapman said...

Thanks Susan!