Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Who Can I Turn To?

Terry here. This week we are talking our mentorsin the writing community? 

Although I’d heard of people being mentors and mentees (is that a word?), I had only a vague idea of what a mentor actually is. Here’s the official definition: provides guidance, advice, feedback and support to the mentee. As well as serving as their role model, teacher, counselor, advisor, sponsor, advocate and ally. 

So my question: does the mentor have to be someone who provides all this good stuff repeatedly, or will once do? The reason I ask is that I have received the most amazing amount of guidance, advice, feedback and support over the years from role models, teachers, counselors, advisors, sponsors, advocates and allies. But not necessarily all from the same person. And not necessarily repeatedly. 

I think what I’ve had is mini-mentors. But a few stand out: 

 First, my dear friend the writer Marilyn Wallace, who insisted that I was a good writer and that eventually I’d make it. She also urged me to attend Bouchercon long before I had a manuscript available. That was sage advice, because Bouchercon has the biggest accumulation of talent, skill, authority, and kindness a writer could ask for. Not just a new writer, but a writer who faces that blank page every, single, time as if it’s the first time. Which many of us do, no matter how many times we’ve written and published books. Getting to talk “shop with other writers is vital. 

Next my dear friend Susan Shea, who brushed a chip off my shoulder without even acknowledging it was there. Here’s what happened: I had written a few novels; found good agents; and had gotten “close, but no cigar” from numerous publishers. And somehow I thought that made me “better” than a beginner. Susan was starting a new writers’ group, with the idea that members should be determined to be published. When Susan first invited me, I turned up my nose and informed her that I had “almost gotten contracts” several times. (Yeah, don’t laugh. I actually thought it meant something). She didn’t turn a hair, didn’t sneer, didn’t giggle, didn’t say, “You’re an idiot.” She also didn’t bow down and say, “Ooo, lucky you,” or “You’re probably too good for this group?” HA. Instead she said, “Great. If you want to join the group, here’s when we’re meeting.” It was a lesson in humility that I needed. And to this day, Susan continues to serve as a sounding board and general, all round mentor. 
 
Sophie Littlefield. I’ve lost contact with her, but she’ll always have a place in my writing biography for her advice to “dig deep and find the story that only I could write.” I had heard that advice numerous times, but it was set in a passionate speech about committing yourself to be a writer. And I heard her. Two months later, I started writing A Killing at Cotton Hill. I don’t know that that would have happened without Sophie’s heartfelt speech. 

There are people I feel like I can call when things start feeling impossible: Jim Ziskin, my fellow-blogger. Jim is always ready to lend an ear and to give advice from his heart. He listens and will do his best to speak to whatever is troubling me as a writer. 

Here’s a surprise: Laura Lippman. As a newly-published writer, I once stopped her at a conference to ask what I thought was a quick question. By now, I know there is no such thing for Laura. I’m sure she remembers nothing of the moment, but I do. Because despite the fact that she had laryngitis, she proceeded to expound passionately for twenty minutes. I walked away dazed. How had this “important” writer found the time to give me a mini-tutorial? Why hadn’t she simply given a one-sentence answer and hustled away? 

The answer is that most crime writers are that generous. I once attended a panel and asked a question. At the end of the session, David Morell (yes, that one) ran after me and said he wanted to expand on the answer to my question. I don’t even remember what it was. I just remember that he bothered to take the time to provide a complete answer to a new writer. Time and again these mini-mentors have guided and supported me. 

And I’ve tried to give back, making sure that when a new writer asks for my help, I give it completely and with gratitude to be able to add something. 

Here are some other names off the top of my head: Rhys Bowen (You need an agent who is on your side!); Janet Reid (Your book needs one more twist); members of my writers groups; Dan Mayer, my first editor who was encouraging and I felt was always in my corner; Carolyn Hart; Deb Crombie; Judy Greber (If you give up, the answer is no. If you don’t give up, the answer still might be no, but it also might be yes); Kimberley Cameron (yes, it’s a hard subject, but you can do it justice).

Publishing is a tough business and it helps to have people we can go to for those pep talks, for advice, and support.

1 comment:

Susan C Shea said...

Terry, we all mentored each other as writers and editors! I never thought you were arrogant, only that when I heard you read aloud at the Book Passage Mystery Writers Conference we had both enrolled in, I thought - okay, there's a really good writer I would like to work with. And I was right!