Wednesday, April 12, 2023

The "Dream Team" by Cathy Ace

Which author(s) (living or dead) would you like to meet one-on-one to talk about the writing craft? What is it about their writing or life that most interests you?

To be honest, even ten years ago I’d have had a list as long as my arm in answer to this question; since then, I’ve been incredibly fortunate to be able to meet many authors whose work has given me great pleasure over the decades, and to listen to them giving interviews or speaking on panels – or even to have spent some personal time with them – wherein I know I’ve learned a great deal about the way they work, which has, in turn, given me much food for thought when considering how I work.

On my bookshelf
But there are authors whose work I admire a great deal with whom I have never, and can never, cross paths, so I’ll focus on them today.

I dare say for anyone who knows me, my first pick won’t come as a surprise: Agatha Christie’s work entertained then inspired me. I enjoyed her autobiography, as well as reading about the notebooks she kept, but to spend time with her…to ask about her plotting, and her use of language…that would be a treat indeed. Though I’ll admit I’m not sure how much I’d learn from her because I’d probably be too shy to ask what I really want to know, which is – how did she find it within herself to just keep going for so very many years?

Other people to have a quiet chat with? Ngaio Marsh? Yes please: to move from one culture to another, then dominated in her field, that would be a wonderful story to hear. Could I also, please, spend some time with PD James and Ruth Rendell too? And, yes, I know these are all women, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing, because I, too, am a woman working in this world of writing and publishing, and I bet they could help me plot my way forward to build a long and healthy career.

And there’s one more name to add to my list: MC Beaton. Unfortunately for me I never had the chance to meet her before she died, but I bet I could learn a great deal from her about – again – the passion for writing which burned in her that allowed her to keep writing for as long as she did. I often find my work, especially my WISE Enquiries Agency Mysteries, compared with her Agatha Raisin books. I have a wonderful opportunity, in Aberystwyth later this month, to meet RW Green who is the author with the responsibility of taking the Agatha Raisin books forward – so at least I can grill him then about the essence of Marion Chesney’s work that he’s alighted upon to ensure that the style and tone she created in her books is continued. I'm so chuffed to be appearing on a panel with him at Wales’s first in-person crime writers’ conference Gwyl Crime Cymru Festival. You can find out all about it here: https://gwylcrimecymrufestival.co.uk/

Also, you can find out more about my work at my website: https://www.cathyace.com/





2 comments:

Catriona McPherson said...

I *was* lucky enough to meet Marion a few times. I even got to interview her once. She was a riot!

Cathy Ace said...

I've heard from folks who met her, like you, that she was a hoot and a half...which I see in her work, too.