Sunday, August 20, 2023

Look Who's Coming to Dinner

You’re hosting a dinner party. Which six characters from crime fiction are you inviting and why?

Brenda here.

A twist on the dinner party question and slightly tougher, but I'm up for the challenge.

It might be tougher to come up with a menu though. Allergies, gluten intolerance, vegetarians, vegans, likes, dislikes ... I'm going to leave this fictional meal to my fictional sidekick Tony who lives downstairs from journalist Ella Tate in Blind Date and When Last Seen. He's constantly throwing gourmet dinner parties and will whip up something delicious.

"They gathered around the table ten minutes later, digging into a meal of Caesar salad, roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, and gravy. The wine flowed, and the noise level rose pleasantly. They settled back as Tony served up chocolate almond cake with Amaretto cream and brandy with coffee to finish off the meal." When Last Seen

Okay, for the list, which follows a certain theme and should make for some interesting conversations:

1.    Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly) L.A.

2.    Vera Stanhope (or Jimmy Perez is she's busy) (Ann Cleeves) Britain

3.    Benny Griessel (Deon Meyer) South Africa

4.    Sean Duffy (Adrian McKinty) Ireland

5.    Thomas Lynley (Elizabeth George) U.S.A.

6.    Kurt Wallander (Henning Mankell) Sweden

As dedicated crime fiction readers likely deduced, I decided to go with all cops so they can compare their cases and investigations, which will vary depending on country. Wouldn't it be fascinating to listen to their stories and perhaps gain inspiration for new books of one's own?

In my head, I'm already laying out the cutlery :-)

Website: www.brendachapman.ca

Facebook & Instagram: BrendaChapmanAuthor

Twitter: brendaAchapman


5 comments:

Jerry House said...

So your fifth guest is Griffin, the Invisible Man (H. G. Wells) Britain?

Brenda Chapman said...

Counting does not appear to be my forte :-) I will adjust ... thanks Jerry!

Lis Angus said...

Brenda, this is brilliant. What a collection of individuals! (I’m wondering how you even convinced them to accept the invitation Lynley of course would give you a polite answer, but I can imagine Harry Bosch blowing off the idea entirely.)
Though Tony can be very persuasive.

Brenda Chapman said...

Thanks Lis - I believe Tony's gourmet cooking, wine selection, and delightful personality will have them all showing up and staying late!

Susan C Shea said...

Well, my comment vanished with a "Whoops, our error" message. I'll try again, noting that I can see Vera giving Lynley the side eye - quite the toff!