Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Summertime, and the reading is...a bit of everything! by Cathy Ace

Any tips for summer reading?

First of all - have you read ALL the books by our bloggers here? Why not check out our titles - we write across a range of styles and sub-genres, so I bet there's something here for you, whatever your taste.

Then, depending on where in the world you live, you might fancy reading something with a setting that can keep you cool, as opposed to what’s commonly referred to as “a quick beach read”…which, these days, could mean a large book that’s big enough to give a decent amount of shade. However, here are some reads I think are worth it at ANY time of the year:

TRADITIONAL CRIME – TRUE GOLDEN AGE:



Martin Edwards: The Rachel Savernake series (currently 4 books) Martin is not only a true afficionado of Golen Age detection fiction, but a talented author, and this series is a delight. The fourth in the series, SEPUCHRE STREET, is just out, and is my own summer read. I’d say these books stand on their own very well, but why not start with book 1, GALLOWS COURT?

HISTORICAL CRIME - SLEUTH:



Ovidia Yu writes a wonderful series set in 1930s Singapore, and I heartily recommend it to you. Yes, I think this one’s worth starting at the beginning, so THE FRANGIPANI TREE MYSTERY (Crown Colony series book 1) would be my recommendation here. My summer reading is book 6, THE MUSHROOM TREE MYSTERY.

CONTEMPORARY BRITISH CRIME – TRADITIONAL SLEUTH:



If you haven’t read the Ruth Galloway Mysteries by Elly Griffiths…I envy you, because you have so many books to enjoy! I have been hooked since book 1, THE CROSSING PLACES, and have the “final” book in the series, THE LAST REMAINS, ready for my summer reading. Dive in wherever you can, but if you’re new to this series, do yourself a favor and start at the beginning. Elly is a talented author and she knows how to build and develop characters and relationships throughout a series, as well as delivering a satisfying closed-circle mystery within each book.

 

CONTEMPORARY BRITISH CRIME – DARK/THRILLER/POLICE:



I have fallen for the Washington Poe series by MW Craven. Each book in the series of five (so far) delivers an engrossing (and not too, too graphic) dark case for the wonderfully hermit-like DS Poe to tackle, more than ably supported by the delightful Tilly Bradshaw. Craven’s writing is stellar, his voice a delight. I cannot get enough of these books! Sadly, I have read them all, but – if you haven’t – catch up now, because book 6 is coming next year – and I bet it will be up for ALL the awards, as have all his previous titles.

CONTEMPORARY BRITISH SPY THRILLERS:



By now you MUST have heard of The Slough House books by Mick Herron. Yes? Excellent – but have you read them? You might have enjoyed the TV adaptation on Apple, but the books? Oh – Mick Herron’s ability to make me laugh is second to none…even while I'm on the edge of my seat, or horrified. This comes through in the dialogue captured in the series’ screenplays, but if you haven’t read the books you’re missing the way Herron’s descriptive text captivates and engages. Yes, I think it’s worth starting at the beginning with SLOUGH HOUSE.

 

CONTEMPORARY ACTION – INTERNATIONAL SETTINGS:



Kevin Wignall writes standalones that have sort-of common threads: a professional assassin/action-orientated operative, who’s in a bit of a pickle/on the cusp of/definitely decided to get out of the “game”. They have other common threads, too – a break-neck pace, excellent settings, compellingly written action. Truly unputdownable – dive in anywhere, and drink your fill.

 

CONTEMPORARY COP THRILLER USA:



Robert Dugoni is a prolific author, so I’ll plump for my favourite series – the Tracy Crosswhite series. Tracy is a cop in the Pacific Northwest – wonderful settings, compelling plots, pacy writing – nothing to not love here! Dive into the 10 book series anywhere, or start at the beginning (my preference, when I can). My summer reading includes book 10, ONE LAST KILL, but maybe begin at the beginning with MY SISTER’S GRAVE.

Finally, a shout out for my latest book - THE CASE OF THE UNINVITED UNDERTAKER - which was published on 24th July. If you fancy traveling to Wales this summer, but can't quite manage it, why not go in the company of the women of the WISE Enquiries Agency? 

Full details here: https://www.cathyace.com/wise-enquiries-agency-mysteries



No comments: