Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Moved by THE HELP

What is the most surprising book you’ve read in the last few years?

by Dietrich


It’s hard to boil it down to just one book, but here goes . . .


While I loved the movie, The Help, it wasn’t until some time later I read the book by Kathryn Stockett, and wow, I was blown away. It was such a treat to read, a balance of hope, courage, with a good mix of humor.


It’s powerfully written and set in 1962 Mississippi, turbulent times indeed. The story looks at women subjugating women, inequality and civil rights in that time and place.


The details around the setting paint vivid pictures, and Stockett has a keen ear for dialogue too, it’s perfect and adds much to bring the main characters like Skeeter, Minnie and Abileen to life. Although they all seem world’s apart, the women come together and form a wonderful bond, while dealing with hate and mistrust all around them. And the characters will stay with you long after you set the book down.


And to think this was Kathryn Stockett’s debut novel. It’s an instant classic, and I’d put it on the top shelf right next to To Kill a Mockingbird. I can’t wait to see what her next novel’s going to be.



5 comments:

Brenda Chapman said...

Hi praise, Dietrich. I'm going to recommend this to my book club!

Brenda Chapman said...

Make that high praise :-)

Dietrich Kalteis said...

Thank you, Brenda. I hope your book club likes it as much as I did.

Susan C Shea said...

I saw the movie (eh, not so great) but didn't read the book. If you say the book is that good, I believe it must be!

Dietrich Kalteis said...

Thanks, Susan.