Sunday, February 18, 2024

Surprising Reads

 What is the most surprising book you’ve read in the last few years?

Brenda

This question is a thinker. I usually like to have a crime fiction novel on the go, but I belong to a book club, and our choices range far and wide. I'll therefore pick from both categories.

I suppose in the 'surprising' crime fiction category, I'd have to go with Denise Mina's standalone Conviction. I'd read many of Mina's books, my favourites including her Paddy Meehan series, but Conviction is original and a departure from her other books that I'd read up until that point. It is a 'Reese's pick' and New York Times Best Novel of the Year, so not too shabby accolades. My book club also read and loved this book to a person - best accolade of all! Here is the synopsis on the Amazon site:

The day Anna McDonald's quiet, respectable life exploded started off like all the days before: Packing up the kids for school, making breakfast, listening to yet another true crime podcast. Then her husband comes downstairs with an announcement, and Anna is suddenly, shockingly alone.

Reeling, desperate for distraction, Anna returns to the podcast. Other people's problems are much better than one's own -- a sunken yacht, a murdered family, a hint of international conspiracy. But this case actually is Anna's problem. She knows one of the victims from an earlier life, a life she's taken great pains to leave behind. And she is convinced that she knows what really happened.

The writing is what makes this a stunning read, in my opinion. And being a fan of Mina's earlier work, it is refreshing to read an accomplished author stretching, growing and taking on new challenges.

Now as for the most surprising 'literary' or general fiction book that I've read recently, the award goes to Yellowface by R.F. Kuang. The manager of a local bookstore recommended it to me, saying it was 'hilarious'. My reaction to the story was the opposite -- I found the book troubling and depressing, to be honest. Topics of privilege, appropriation, authenticity and power structures within the publishing industry are raised. The random way a book is picked to be a bestseller is painfully mapped out, and the role of social media in making or breaking an author is also portrayed. The stunning thing for me about the book is how many industry taboos the author speaks bravely about, albeit fictionally. The plot is like a train wreck that you can't take your eyes off of until it reaches its inevitable climax. All in all, a worthwhile and illuminating read for those both in and outside the publishing industry.

Website: www.brendachapman.ca

Twitter (X): brendaAchapman

Facebook & Instagram: BrendaChapmanAuthor

5 comments:

Dietrich Kalteis said...

Thanks for this, Brenda. I've added these to my reading list.

Susan C Shea said...

I've read other Denise Mina novels, but not this one. With your recommendation, I'll seek it out. Thanks.

Brenda Chapman said...

I'll be interested to hear what you both think of these books.

Harini Nagendra said...

I've wanted to read Yellowface for some time now, Brenda - but your post makes me motivated to pick it up now! Once I finish writing book 4...

Brenda Chapman said...

It's definitely an interesting read, Harini.