Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Bump, set, spike, write! by Eric Beetner

 A writer's job involves a lot of sitting - scribbling in a notepad, or hunched over in a chair, typing. Do you have a daily exercise routine? What advice would you offer to other writers, to keep themselves fit and healthy over the longer term?


I was an indoor kid. All of my interests - movies, TV, music, books - took place inside, and usually in the dark. I've never been much of a sportsball type. I always enjoyed being active when I did it, but I never joined any teams and I never took up any regular regimen.

Now that I'm in my 50s, I exercise more than I ever have. I do it for my health, yes, but being active 100% unlocks your creative flow. There's no denying the endorphins and other chemical reactions when you get up and get moving. When your mind is getting blood flow, the ideas float along those rivers.

I also relish the time to get away from the keyboard. If I'm not feeling it, I love to get out and walk the dogs. I don't need to run a marathon, just a little activity. It changes my scenery and gets my heart rate up. All of this works to help the creative flow. There's nothing worse than feeling sleepy and uninspired at the keys. 

My preferred activity is volleyball. For some reason it's the sport I gravitate to most. I've played indoor for many years, but living very close to the beach as I do in southern California, I have migrated to being a beach player. I have a regular group that meets on the weekends and I've started playing 2 on 2 in the mornings twice a week. Getting up at 6:30 to get out and be active is a 180 degree flip of my normal schedule which is late nights and a whole lot of sitting, but I've grown to love it. I mean, it's the beach. C'mon.

I can probably make an analogy about volleyball and writing - keeping the ball in the air and such, knowing when to volley and when to spike - but mostly it is a way to stay active and stop my heart from calcifying.

But being active is a must for anyone in a sedentary job, and a must for creative types. When your body is in good health and your blood is moving, your mind is clearer and works more efficiently. There's science behind that, even if I can't point you to a study or medical text. It doesn't have to be vigorous exercise. Beach volleyball is quite a workout and I don't recommend it for everyone. But a short walk, a few pushups, getting outside and pulling weeds, all of it helps engage your whole body and your mind is a big part of that system. 

No comments: