Monday, July 1, 2024

Writing What I Love

 CM for July 1

 

Q: If you write in an alternate non-mystery genre, which one - and why? If you don't, which genre would you most like to write in, and what attracts you to it?

 

-from Susan

 

In my previous careers, I wrote a lot, sometimes editorial work and sometimes public relations/public affairs. Everything from covering local news and bland TV celebrity profiles to ghost-writing op-ed pieces and making the case for large capital campaigns. Delicate CEO memos, annual reports, donor and programs profiles. A few national magazine stories. Writing, writing, writing, lots of strategy and purpose to it all. Would I like to do any of that again? No, I enjoyed much of it at the time, but once I gave myself permission to turn to crime fiction as the last career, I was happy to turn my back on all of that. 

 

I’m satisfied to stick with crime fiction now, although I have thought about a novel based in some part on the story of my mother’s life during and after the war, first plunged into the heady world of radio production, then dismissed when the men came home to reclaim their old jobs. In her case, it was a seriously unhappy after-life. Beautiful, glamorous, smart, and intellectual, she wasn’t equipped to be a normal suburban housewife and mother, and her life went badly in the years that followed. I should know. I was there for the whole unhappy arc. But will I? As a novel? As a memoir? Women’s fiction? I’m not sure. Perhaps I don’t want to look hard at something so close to my life.

 

Crime fiction is fun. I like the scaffolding we all employ in one shape or another. I like the creative juices, the stories, the playing with what ifs and whys. I like trying different voices and settings and weaving in things that intrigue me – the dark side of the art world, the comical aspects of an insular village, French food and culture, the sometimes peculiar behaviors of the rich. I’m genuinely curious about people and wish I could get inside their heads at times, not to envy them, but just to poke around and find out what makes them tick.

 

So, no, no other genres beckon me convincingly right now. I think I’m happy in my little corner of the writing universe.


My first mystery, originally published in 2010, the one that set me on this path (available on Amazon in this bright new edition). 




 

 

5 comments:

Terry said...

I would actually love to read a book about your mother's life. It sounds intriguing. On the other hand, I still am waiting for another Dani book!

Susan C Shea said...

Terry, My mother's story doesn't have a happy ending and I'm not sure what I'd do about that. In fiction, I could re-write it at least!

Josh Stallings said...

You have had a wild varied life. Im glad crime called to you. And I too would love to read about your mother's story. I interviewed my mother about fighting for non violence and civil rights before the woman's movement. She was expected to protest and organize and feed and take care of four wild children. Newspaper articles showed my father and said nothing of her. The said she didn't mind, that was how things are.

Susan C Shea said...

Josh, our mothers were whipsawed by society in so many large and small ways. They were no longer legal chattal but even having the vote, education, public roles, and financial rights, they didn't have what my generation has, much less what subsequent women have had. Still, battles, regression, and distain are rampant. Our mothers would weep.

Josh Stallings said...

Susan, This year I'm glad my mother didn't live to see the regressive acts of the SCOTUS.