Thursday, July 25, 2024

LOTS of Photos from James W. Ziskin


Hobbies - some people garden, others work on jigsaw puzzles, cartoon, or play music. What's your creative outlet when you're not writing? 

At first glance, this week’s topic seems light and easy. And yet…

It’s made me realize how boring I am. But rather than hobbies, let’s call them “outside interests.” That sounds more substantial.

I used to have more outside interests. In my twenties, I loved cinema, especially foreign and art films. Not anymore. I haven’t seen a new movie in a long time. Like my dad who, before he passed away two years ago, would brag/joke that the last film he’d seen in a movie theater was M*A*S*H in 1970. More than fifty years ago. Not sure why he gave up on movies, but I avoid them today because I don’t like sitting in seats sat in by other sitters. Even before the pandemic, I used to sanitize my airplane seats. Especially the armrests. The grime that comes off is…gross.

So I don’t go to the movies anymore. I also have more or less given up golf. I used to love getting out on the links for “a good walk spoiled.” But in recent years, I’ve managed to throw out my back right at the start of each summer, and that’s put a crimp in my plans. And my back. In fact, I did it again six weeks ago, and I’m just now able to lift myself out of bed without provoking a tectonic shift and howling pain in the lumbar regions of my spine. Maybe I’ll play later this summer.

Little Giants football c. 1971

What about other sports? In my youth, I played baseball, basketball, and football. The budding star in the red circle above is me. Two of my brothers are in the photo as well. Can you spot them? Post your guesses in the comments below.

I ran track and field in high school. I did the long jump and triple jump. Can’t do those things anymore, although I have become “jump”-y in my dotage and I “trip” over things all the time.

Triple jump 1978

I don’t play tennis. Come on. What’s the point? And I can’t get past the name “pickleball” to give that a try. Plus it’s just tennis only slower and louder, isn’t it?

I love to ski, but haven’t done much of it recently. Now I enjoy après-ski.


                                                Whistler Mountain BC 2017

Let’s see. What other outside interests don’t I have? 

Cooking? Il faut manger, of course, but it’s not a passion for me. I’m not a foodie.

Oh, shit

Music? I love classical music. 

Marilyn Monroe and Tom Ewell

Marilyn Monroe in The Seven-Year Itch: “This is what they call classical music, isn’t it? I can tell because there’s no vocal.” 

Yes, I love to listen to music, but I gave up playing the piano and the guitar many, many years ago. Still, I fantasize that I might pick up the piano again someday.

Charlie Chaplin

I don’t garden, knit, collect stamps, coins, or animation cels. (Dust, yes.) I don’t watch birds, don’t play cards, gamble, or swap meets. I’m dull.

So, no, I don’t have many outside interests. Between my writing and my teaching job, I lack the energy and the inclination to do much of anything extra. 

Except maybe drawing. I love to draw. I use it in my work as a French teacher and in my life. It’s an enjoyable pastime. A wonderful outside interest. And just so you won’t think I’m a total dud, here’s a modest gallery of some of my drawings (in no particular order), from maps to computer drawings to pencil to erasable markers on a white board. Some of these are unfinished and others I’ve posted here before, so please indulge me.


A map from BOMBAY MONSOON
Tintin whiteboard in my French class

Georges Brassens

Ray Milland

The reluctant footballer



Eugenio Montale

American Cow c. 1998

G. H. W. Bush

Giacomo Puccini


Carole Lombard

William Powell

Cocktails? 1997

French class whiteboard

Nat King Cole




La météo whiteboard French class

Mansard roof

TURN TO STONE map of Florence
Waiter about to be fired c. 2010

Show Cats 1967



Pier Paolo Pasolini



All-prison first team baller



Henry Fonda

Character sketch c. 2002



Pheasant c. 1992
Cary Grant





S

9 comments:

Ann Mason said...

Always impressed at how many of the writers I know are also artists. Next time, instead of asking you to sign my book, I’ll ask for a quick sketch. Start practicing. Xo

Anonymous said...

Are the brothers wearing consecutive numbers to you?

James W. Ziskin said...

Yes, they are!

Catriona McPherson said...

Way to bury the lede, Jim!

Susan C Shea said...

That's a portfolio, not a hobby! Love the whiteboard cartoons.

Lori Rader-Day said...

That consecutive numbers answer was me!

James W. Ziskin said...

You were correct, Lori! Glad to know you were anonymous.

Jim

Harini Nagendra said...

Jim, you are SO talented - speaking as someone who routinely bribed her classmates to draw the zoology diagrams in her lab notes! These are incredible sketches. In awe.
--Harini

Anonymous said...

Jim, I felt so bad for you reading this, was reminded of how much we change, was about to put a doc coat on and bring you a dozen apples, until I got to the punchline. We don’t need to long jump our entire lives, you can if you like. Sure. But we can embrace new and other hobbies and talents! Be just as vibrant. You may have left plenty behind, but you’ve got a lifelong gift. Makes that gifts. You’re lucky. Your art is fabulous on the page and on the canvas! 💖