Sunday, September 1, 2024

The Book Conference Experience

Bouchercon and Killer Nashville 2024 have ended recently. Your thoughts on your conference experience. Do you get post conference blues, or does it energize you?

Brenda starting off the week.

I used to go to book conferences quite often but have not been to any since the pandemic. I attended every Bloody Words in Canada since I was first published, although these conferences have since ended. They took place mainly in Toronto but once in Victoria and twice in my home city, Ottawa. I was on the planning committee for the second Ottawa conference and saw the event from a completely different angle. They are a ton of work to put on, and my hat goes off to everyone involved - it took a full year of planning to organize ours, never mind the actually three or four actual days when it took place.

What I love about these conferences is visiting new cities, meeting so many great people, (authors and fans alike), and being inspired by panels and other authors. I've attended Bouchercon in Baltimore, Cleveland and Toronto, and Left Coast Crime in Vancouver, Phoenix and Monterey, and a memorable Murder in Muncie in Muncie, Indiana ... every conference was unique and so much fun. During a conference, you have nothing to do but mingle, attend panels and events, eat and drink, schmooze-- daily life, routine and chores are put on hold.

One of my favourite panels - Corey Fayman, me, Barbara Nickless & Catherine Maiorisi -Vancouver

 
Another favourite panel! Ann Cleeves, Deborah Crombie, Louise Penny, me & Kathy Bennett - Monterey

With Ann Cleeves at Left Coast Crime in Phoenix

The Canadian contingent at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland

Initially, I was nervous to attend the conferences but the Canadian authors always met up for meals and attended each other's panels. They've been generous in networking, making introductions that might result in new friendships and book-industry connections. The vibe at these conferences is friendly and supportive. I can't say that I've ever had a bad experience. 

As for post-conference blues, I've not experienced them except it is hard to get back to the pressures of daily life. I've always come home eager to write and revitalized after listening to so many authors talk about the craft and their writing lives. 

It might just be time I signed up for another conference!

Most of the 7 Criminal Minds a few years back -  Vancouver

Website: www.brendachapman.ca

Twitter: brendaAchapman

Facebook, Instagram & Threads: BrendaChapmanAuthor

No comments: