Monday, September 16, 2024

You've Been Writing How Long?

State how long you’ve been writing, and what advice would you give to your younger self before you turned professional?

Brenda

Odd timing - I did a bookstore signing last weekend and at least three people asked how long I'd been writing. I answered that my first published book came out in 2004, so I've been published for 20 years and released my 25th book this past spring. But I'd been writing for years before 'turning professional' in 2004, if the release of that first book marks the official date.

As far back as high school, I was writing stories and poetry with English my favourite subject in school. I went on to study English literature, including a full year creative writing course at university. But it wasn't until after my daughters were born that I began creative writing in earnest.

One of the parent groups had started a magazine (pamphlet) for parents at home and accepted articles from anyone. I submitted five or six humorous stories about being a stay-at-home mom that were published for no renumeration but a lot of self-satisfaction. Later, I went on to have a short story published in Canadian Living magazine and made a whopping $300. After a few more short mystery stories made it into an anthology (When Boomers Go Bad) and a few magazines, I turned my hand to middle grade and adult mystery novels.

My career path always involved a lot of writing, from essays at university, to student reports as a teacher, to media lines and communications plans in my government job. I'd wager all my fellow Minds were also born with a pen in their hand and spent a good part of their lives writing. It's a skill that improves with practice -- a passion that only grows stronger with the passage of time.

As for advice to my younger self, I would say to enjoy the journey and not to worry as much about the destination.

Website: www.brendachapman.ca

Twitter (X): brendaAchapman

Instagram, Facebook & Threads: BrendaChapmanAuthor

2 comments:

Susan C Shea said...

You've written in so many different genres and formats. Writing any kind of middle-grade or YAs is a whole different challenge, I bet.

Brenda Chapman said...

Susan - middle grade has its own writing conventions, trends, reviewers, hierarchy ... as a beginning writer, I had to settle on one age group to become known, and decided to write fiction for adults. It's all challenging but fun!